Direction: All the Questions should be done on the Answer Sheet.
I. Choose a word that best completes each of the following sentences: (20*1point=20points)
1. The ________ driver thinks accidents only happen to other people.
A. average B. common C. usual D. normal
2. Even if they are on sale, these refrigerators are equal in price to, if not more expensive than, _______ at the other store.
A. the one B. others C. that D. the ones
3. Conversation becomes weaker in society that spends so much time listening and being talked to _______ it has all but lost the will and the skill to speak for itself.
A. as B. which C. that D. what
4. _____________ for the timely investment from the general public, our company would not be so thriving as it is.
A. Had it not been B. Were it not C. Be it not D. Should it not be
5. Asia _______________ by most experts to be the cradle of human civilization.
A. has been always considered B. has always been considered
C. always has been considered D. has been considered always
6. An old woman was badly hurt in _______ the police describe as an apparently motiveless attack.
A. that B. what C. whatever D. which
7. Paul Samuelson revolutionized ______ by presenting his students with the most advanced economic thinking at an introductory level.
A. to teach economics B. teaching that economics is
C. the teaching of economics D. economics is taught
8. If you find this item too difficult to _______, it is advisable to leave as it is and move on to the next one.
A. work out B. work on C. work for D. work at
9. You and I could hardly understand, ________?
A. could we B. couldn’t you C. couldn’t we D. could I
10. There was an accident _______ the crossroads at midnight last night.
A. in B. on C. at D.by
11. She has managed to obtain a temporary work __________ in Britain.
A permit B permission C permissiveness D permissible
12. The football players need total concentration during ___________.
A match B game C play D perform
13. Involved in a bribery scandal, the President had to ___________ his resignation.
A do B catch C offer D find
14. When I go out in the evening I use the bike __________the car if I can.
A rather than B regardless of C in spite of D other than
15. Some plants are very _________ to light; they prefer the shade.
A sensible B flexible C objective D sensitive
16. Don’t let the child play with scissors _________he cuts himself.
A in case B so that C now that D only if
17. Without proper lessons, you could________ a lot of bad habits when playing the piano.
A keep up B pick up C draw up D catch up
18. We should always bear in mind that _________ decisions often result in serious consequences.
A urgent B instant C prompt D hasty
19. The computer can be paid for in ten monthly________ of 100 dollars.
A pay B pays C payment D payments
20. American linguist Noah Webster was among the first to the growing difference between American and British usages of English.
A. realize B. recognize C. research D. reckon
III.Cloze Test (20 points) Read the following paragraph and choose the correct word for each blank from the three alternatives.
Man cannot go on __1_ his numbers at the present rate, In the _2_ 30 years man will face a period of crisis. __3_ experts believe that there will be a widespread food_4_. Other experts think this is 5__ pessimistic, and that man can prevent things _6__ worse than they are now. But _7__ that two-thirds of the people in the world are undernourished or starving now.
One thing that man can do is to limit _8__ of babies born. The need _9__ this is obvious, but it is _10_ to achieve. People have to _11__ to limit their families. In the countries of the population __12__, many people like big families. The parents think that this __13__ a bigger income for the family and ensures there will be someone in the family who will look __14__ them in old age.
Several governments have _15__ birth control policies in recent years. __16__ them are Japan, China, India and Egypt. In some _17___ the results have not been 18__. Japan has been an exception. The Japanese adopted a birth control policy in 1948. People __19__ to limit their families. The birth rate fell from 34.3 per thousand per year to about 17.0 per year _20__.
( )1.A increasing B to increase C and increase D with increasing
( )2.A second B recent C next D late
( )3.A Any B Some C More D All
( )4.A need B want C absence D shortage
( )5.A so B much C too D enough
( )6.A getting B from getting C to get D get
( )7.A remember B remembering C to remember D remembers
( )8.A an amount B a number C the amount D the number
( )9.A for B in C of D about
( )10.A not easy B no easy C not easily D no ease
( )11.A persuade B be persuading C be persuaded D persuading
( )12.A bursting B explosion C raising D extension
( )13.A takes B brings C makes D earns
( )14.A upon B for C into D after
( )15.A adjusted B created C adopted D presented
( )16. A Of B Among C Between D Out of
( )17.A exceptions B examples C events D cases
( )18.A success B succeeded C successful D succeeding
( )19.A were encouraged B encouraged C are encouraged D encourage
( )20.A presently B at present C in time D on time